Monday 12 April 2021

Your Education Must Redeem You II

These ears, they like gossip so much that however much you try to avoid it, some words find themselves into you. 

Last year, I was somewhere minding my business when a highly diplomatic argument broke out between a mother and her daughter.

Ears on the ground. This is what happened.

At first, the quarrel was the usual noise made when two axes are put in the same basket; as said by Ngugi Wa Miri in their book ''I Will Marry When I Want".

What startled me to start questioning my ears' credibility was when the daughter asked her mother what she is doing in her marital home and yet her husband (daughter's father) had departed the world.

Precisely, she said, "Why don't you go back to your father's home? This is my father's house and you who has only one daughter have no claim to it. This house belongs to I and my step brothers" 

A child is chasing her biological mother from her house.

This is it:

The daughter is the only child of her mother. Her father who was also the husband to her mother and another woman died a few years ago. 

A structure atop Wanale Hill in Mbale. Photo taken in 2018

This daughter has tried a hand at marriage but she has not yet stabilised (as we all understand "marriage-things" nowadays). Therefore, many times (not once) in a while when she goes out there and things do not work out, she returns with a child and stays until another marriage calls. But this time round, the lockdown complicated things and delayed her next marriage.

The axes when kept in the same basket they must necessarily knock against each other. On her next marriage trip, she went and left all her children to the same mother she was trying to chase from her own home.

That is how complicated things can be.

If you're planning to become LC 1, those are the cases you have to handle. One day I shall tell you about a mistress who sued someone's husband for infecting her with a disease that she could not disclose. But because it may involve a lot of reference to private parts, I need to write it when I am drunk. Who is buying the drink?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memories Under the Kampala Sun

  Memories Under the Kampala Sun: A Reflective Journey Through Childhood Challenges and Resilience By WABUYI DENIS Kampala is currently hot,...