Wednesday 7 April 2021

Love Through the Eyes of A Mother


Upon realising that his girlfriend was staring at him, he stared back at her; she then asked, "do you like the food?"

He did not respond but just stared back at her with a smile. She very much reminded him of his elderly mother and he did not hesitate to tell her, how he was fond of his mother before work and adult life separated them.

"You have asked me the same question 3 times."

Internet photo (May be subject to copyright)

"And you have not replied", she replied with a beaming smile covering her face. He lovingly looked back at her and put the folk down then reached for her hand and gripped it then closed his eyes; "I feel so lucky to have you". The grip was so firm; it felt like letting go, he would lose her.

"You very much remind me of my mother; right now she must be lying in bed or kneeling at the bed side, saying a prayer and interceding to God on my behalf. she is an amazing woman. When I had just completed college and secured my first job with the insurance company, my mother meant a lot to me; she was my courage, she was my morale; I could intimate to her all my thoughts, all my plans and ambitions."

"Mother always waited for me to return; and I normally returned home at 8pm to find when she has already prepared our dinner. I remember the small bucket in which she would place my food to keep it warm; I wonder whether it is still there. I would sit on the wooden chair called mussesa, my mother would sit on her mat in the corner and stare at me as I ate away. She always knew when I was enjoying or not: she could always know when my day was good or the day was bad; that woman had a way of reading my mind."

"Whenever I was about to empty my plate, she could reach for the pot, scoop drinking water and pass it to me. I could argue with mother as to why she has to pass me the water all the time but it was now routine because that argument would then lead us to our conversation. She would then ask many questions some of which I answered while others I could say were beyond her age to understand."

"".......... you're working with people who when my house burns they can build for me a new house, when someone steals my land they can give me another piece of land. Are they not the same people who burn people's houses and steal people's land so that they can replace and stay in business?" my mother asked one night."

“No mother. Insurance companies aver the perils which will require indemnity; when you insure your house and it burns down, it is an expense replacing it and another thing, our company cannot insure land against theft.”

“"Then what can poor me also protect from loss", she asked while stretching to hit a cockroach that was roaming around the room."

"Mother you can insure your life"

""Wait, you mean I can insure my life so that when I die......................""

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memories Under the Kampala Sun

  Memories Under the Kampala Sun: A Reflective Journey Through Childhood Challenges and Resilience By WABUYI DENIS Kampala is currently hot,...