Friday 2 July 2021

Once upon a time in July

I wanted to publish this article yesterday but I could not confirm that we are in July, I had to give it another day. We are living in unprecedented times. You may have walked 5 days of the month and then suddenly something happens and the month is reversed.

But I can now confirm that we are in July, the first month in the second half of another wasted year of 2021. July is the longest month of the year, literally it feels like July has around 40 days, 8 weeks and very many hours.

The month of July in Bugisu used to be the month of harvesting, likyesa. It is a month when persons like Nekesa and Wekesa were born. But not anymore, I think. Some people now take on their parents' names and thus you will find a Wekesa born in January and a Nakhumitsa born in December.

Anyway, even the word itself has evolved. Khukyesa is now only used in relation to the millet, which millet growing is also waning. The language in general is evolving and we have adapted the Luganda word of Okukungula. In place of Khukyesa, we are now putting khukhungula.

50 years from now, you will need to explain the meaning of your names to your children, but shall we be knowing them. If it was not for my namesake Mr Wabuyi William, I would be walking this world not knowing the meaning of my name, Wabuyi but now I know. Only that I was born in the "wrong" month.

As we sail through July, the month of harvest, the longest month of the year, may blessings envelope your life. May you harvest wherever you have sown good seed.

And also, take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memories Under the Kampala Sun

  Memories Under the Kampala Sun: A Reflective Journey Through Childhood Challenges and Resilience By WABUYI DENIS Kampala is currently hot,...