Tuesday 23 June 2020

When Laws Go On Holiday


By Wabuyi Denis 

Yesterday, we were stopped by a traffic officer for some reason; she knew best. But after greeting, she waved us on without asking any questions. Maybe she was bored and wanted someone to talk to. Indeed if I was a traffic officer and felt bored, I would stop every vehicle, greet all the occupants, one at a time then wave them off. But the less than 30 seconds interaction with the officer brought back memories of my first encounter with law enforcement. 

Matatu on a road in Kampala (Photo by Daily Monitor)
One time; those days when I was studying at Uganda College of Commerce (UCC) in Tororo, I witnessed something comic which keeps coming to mind whenever I see a traffic Police officer. Being a law abiding citizen, it was also my first ever encounter with law enforcers.

I had boarded one of those ragged matatus which plow the Mbale - Tororo road which road was also ragged. As we approached a place referred to as Mailo-aboro in Japadhola, a traffic officer waved down the matatu. From his (driver) reaction, I sensed that something was terribly wrong; either with our driver who was also ragged or the ragged vehicle which was ferrying us, the ragged executive officers.

We later on learnt that our ragged driver was actually not a driver but a conductor who was sitting in for his boss and he did not possess a driving license.

The traffic officer could not take our ragged conductor cum driver’s defense to his crime.
The excuse that the ragged guy gave was: "My boss (in reference to the officer), today is a Sunday. I did not therefore expect you (traffic Police) to be working. I have always been driving on Sundays without a license and have never been stopped"

So, our driver was perplexed to find out that the laws had not gone on holiday, as they always do.

In the confusion which ensued, I misplaced my kaveera of roasted ground nuts. Therefore, my first encounter with law enforcement deprived me of the groundnuts which were to accompany my breakfast for 30 days.

That is why I fear being stopped by traffic officers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memories Under the Kampala Sun

  Memories Under the Kampala Sun: A Reflective Journey Through Childhood Challenges and Resilience By WABUYI DENIS Kampala is currently hot,...