Thursday 7 May 2020

IT IS JUST A SNAKE!

By WABUYI DENIS

A few years ago, I think in 2005. I was moving with my fellow evangelists, going door to door preaching the good gospel to bring many more souls to Christ.

Because it is rural Bugisu, we reached a point when we needed rest and got a spot under a huge tree.

As we rested while planning where to go next, a beautiful green snake made its way out of the shrub and made its way toward where we sat before we scared it off. As it scampered for safety from us, dangerous humans, we also exclaimed "Jesu" and walked off.

We had moved around 100 meters from the snake's sanctuary when my evangelist colleague thought that we should lock hands and pray. I asked why, and he told me that we must pray against the "devil" who had just "attacked" us.

"I didn't see any devil, it was just a snake, they have missed me many times", I said innocently.

I narrated to him so many stories of childhood when on various occasions we have found snakes in our house and sometimes in the same beddings where we were tucked.

The next day, the fellow evangelist shunned my company.

This flashback came to mind when I was moving with a colleague; a distance from home and saw a snake. His impulse was to kill it, mine was wondering why kill a snake which is in the wilderness.

"It is not the devil, it is just a snake!"



Also appeared on my sister Martha's blog: https://nangalama.blogspot.com/2020/05/uganda-it-is-just-snake.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memories Under the Kampala Sun

  Memories Under the Kampala Sun: A Reflective Journey Through Childhood Challenges and Resilience By WABUYI DENIS Kampala is currently hot,...