Monday 18 May 2020

Effective Communication is Key

I was seated in my wooden chair minding my business when someone sent me a text message: "Watching piggery farmers program on TV. I love, admire and want to be like them".

I told her it's impossible especially with her eating habits.

She asked why and I explained why she can't "be a pig".

"Stupid, I never said that I want to be a pig, I want to be a pig farmer."

I then clearly understood what Dr Juliet meant when she taught us about clarity and completeness when communicating. 

You're talking about pig farms and then say you wanna be like them. How will I know that you want to be a farm, rather farmer and not a pig?

In this lockdown, and especially to  my young brothers and sisters, there is no need to rush, we have all the time. 

Write full words and write complete sentences!

Effective communication requires that the message should be clear and also complete.

But how will you achieve these if you can't even write a two letter word "OK" or "you" in full?

Martha says that it is either laziness or illiteracy. But even when the former is more prevalent, chances are high that it is a combination of both.

And by the way, what does it feel like to write "ok" as "k"?

Denis Wabuyi

This article also appears here: http://nangalama.blogspot.com/2020/05/uganda-clear-communication-is-key-to.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memories Under the Kampala Sun

  Memories Under the Kampala Sun: A Reflective Journey Through Childhood Challenges and Resilience By WABUYI DENIS Kampala is currently hot,...