Saturday 13 November 2021

3 Beds, One Night!

An aerial view captured from the balcony of my residence at Luweero Diocese
Whenever I travel up country for work, I always face a difficulty finding affordable but hygienic and 'decent' accommodation facilities. It always seems like those two cannot relate, they repulse each other.

Most affordable Guest Houses/Hotels turn out to be "brothels" and this normally elicits fears of contracting disease or the discomfort of the sounds of night pleasures from other guests.

This was so until I realised that some upcountry towns have Guest Houses owned and run by religious institutions. The Church of Uganda runs some of the most affordable and decent facilities. The Catholic Church also has them but theirs are a little bit pricey and in most cases out of reach. I remember going to Kyangwali in Kikube District and they told me that the cheapest I would get at the Catholic run hotel was at Ugx 120,000/-.

But most guest houses run by Church of Uganda are affordable; especially in Luweero and Mbarara.

However, one distinctive feature I find is that most of their rooms have 2 beds. 

In Mbarara, I booked the room and the lady who checked me particularly asked me to use only one bed for the night. Did this lady think that I would sleep in two beds in one night?

It was interesting and I assured her that I have no such plans as sleeping in two beds in one night. But as I pondered over her ludicrous request, I remembered that I have ever slept in three beds in one night but this happened in my own house, my first week in that house.

I was alone in a fully furnished 3 bedroom house and had automatically chosen to sleep in the Master bedroom until I realised that being direct to the evening sunlight (the trees had not grown to give the house sufficient shade), the wall had absorbed much heat and it was quite uncomfortable. I shifted to the adjacent bedroom; but this particular one had a very light window curtain and the security light was lighting directly into the room.

After one hour of trying to catch sleep in vain, I shifted to the other bedroom  and it is where I found comfort. One night, three beds but I will not do that in a Guest House!

Lastly, I urge all of us to plant trees around our houses. It does not only preserve the environment but breathe good air when back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memories Under the Kampala Sun

  Memories Under the Kampala Sun: A Reflective Journey Through Childhood Challenges and Resilience By WABUYI DENIS Kampala is currently hot,...